This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
By: John Sears
- The Iowa State Cyclones looked mighty impressive in their ‘upset’ win over Tulsa. The Cyclones were ‘technically’ the underdog according to Vegas, but even Vegas gets it wrong every now and then. ISU was the much better team and rolled to the most impressive season opening win in the Paul Rhoads era.
- We saw the ‘good’ Steele Jantz. Will we see the ‘good’ Steele Jantz at Iowa? If we do, the Hawks are in a lot of trouble.
- Good to see Shontrelle Johnson back carrying the rock for ISU. Some injuries are never easy to come back from, he’s back.
- The Iowa Hawkeyes did not look good for 3 1/2 quarters against Northern Illinois. I was very disappointed in the offense, especially the passing game. Kirk Ferentz said it best, “its rough.” Understatement. James Vandenberg looked lost, out of sync, and jittery. The ‘O’ looked more conservative than the Ken O’Keefe days, yes I said it. I’m ok with screens, and out patterns, but if that’s ALL you’re going to run you become very predictable.
- Note to JVB. CJF. He’s wide open, a lot…And he’s 6’7“.
- Note to Greg Davis. You aren’t in Texas anymore.
- The offensive line was somewhat disappointing, especialyl pass blocking. This is usually a strong point for Ferentz coached teams, which is why it’s a disappointment. They allowed 6 sacks, and while Damon Bullock rushed for 150 yards they hardly steamrolled their opponent from the MAC.
- Props to the Iowa defense. Pegged as the weak spot all pre-season they showed life, made key stops, got pressure on the QB, and outside of 1 big run, they played hard and looked like a group that can build on something. They’ll need a better performance against ISU. Solid start though for a young group.
- Welcome to the big show Damon Bullock. Work horse.
- This year’s Cy-Hawk game is a complete tossup. Iowa is favored by 4, they hardly looked like a team that should be favored. Smart $$$ is on ISU. But in this series I don’t think there’s such a thing as ‘smart $$$.’ I won’t be surprised if Iowa wins. I won’t be surprised if Iowa State wins. Even match.
- While Iowa and ISU both won, the best performance may have come in a loss. UNI, hats off. They took #12 Wisconsin to the brink and were a TD away from pulling off the biggest upset since App. State beat Michigan. Mark Farley coached teams can play. Panthers lost their entire front 7 on defense, they more than held their own against the Badgers.
- Iowa…Beware. UNI comes to Iowa City in 2 weeks.
- RVTV starts tomorrow…Be ready Greenfield, Indianola, Knoxville, and Pella…We’re coming.