This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DES MOINES, Iowa — The Des Moines Fire Department was called to the south side Friday night on a report of an explosion.

When they arrived at 5538 SW 15th they found the home smoldering with a little bit of smoke but no flames. The home was partially collapsed and there was debris that had been blown out of the home by the force of the explosion.

Officials say no one was home at the time and they have not been able to contact the man who owns the home.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Firefighters smelled natural gas when they first arrived on scene but don’t know if the leak was there before the explosion, or whether the explosion caused it.