Centerville Assistant Fire Chief Mike “Coop” Cooper passed away early Saturday morning.
Emergency crews responded to 22900 Highway 5 in Centerville, known as the Cowan Enterprises building, at about 7:30 p.m. Friday. By about 8 p.m., the north and east side of the facility was engulfed in flames.
Crews learned that there was a 1,000 gallon propane tank located on the outside of the building and a 500 gallon propane tank inside of the building, at that point crews took a defensive stance to fight the fire.
The fire was under control at about 3 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters remained on scene for several hours.
Cooper had served with the Centerville Fire Department for 37 years. Services are pending.