Marshalltown Homeowner Welding in Garage Starts Fire After Sparks Land on Nearby Combustibles

News

WHO-HD

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa — A welding accident in Marshalltown started a fire that destroyed a garage and caused damage to neighboring properties, authorities said.

Marshalltown police and fire crews responded to a garage fire behind 708 Noble Street at 4:51 p.m. Tuesday. En route to the fire, neighbors advised dispatchers that they heard an explosion. When firefighters arrived, they found a garage on fire with flames spreading to an adjacent garage on the same property.

Firefighters said it took a while to extinguish the fire because of a large amount of flammable liquids stored inside the garage.

The garage the fire originated is a total loss, and there is fire damage to the adjacent garage and two neighboring garages. Firefighters estimate the damage at $20,000.

Authorities said an investigation revealed the homeowner was welding inside the garage and sparks caught nearby combustibles and fireworks on fire.

No one was injured in the fire.

Latest News

More News