This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa — The suspect in a fatal shooting in Marshalltown over the weekend has been arrested.

Jose Morales, 19, was arrested Wednesday afternoon by Marshalltown police. He is charged with first degree murder in the death of 20-year-old Dedrikk Fisher.

Witnesses told police Morales shot Fisher January 17 at 1203 West Church Street. Fisher was taken to a local hospital where he died in the early morning hours of January 18.

Morales was located at an apartment complex at 402 Plaza Heights Road in Marshalltown around 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Dawn Carroll says she can’t believe the man accused of killing her step son was right down the street.

“I can’t believe he was so close, we’ve been walking up and down the street every day to go to the store and to know he’s right there, I’m just glad they caught him,” says Dedrikk Fisher’s Stepmom Dawn Carroll.

Police say they were following up on the investigation when they stumbled onto their suspect.

“We were just following up on some leads and looking for potential witnesses and people that may know Mr. Morales. We were checking out an address at 402 Plaza Heights Road here in Marshalltown and when the detectives knocked on the door, he was there,” says Marshalltown Police Chief Michael Tupper.

Morales was taken into custody without incident.

Tuesday, the police department’s SWAT team surrounded the home at 514 North Center Street after receiving a tip that Morales was staying there.

“It was scary. I was down at the corner of the street and I saw people with guns and they were shooting at the windows,” says Bailey Niederman of Marshalltown.

Several rounds of tear gas were fired into the home and after an eight-hour standoff officers entered the home, but did not find Morales.

Chief Tupper says they used such drastic measures because Morales was considered armed and dangerous and had made threats against the department.

“We never want to have to use force; we try to avoid that stuff. I’m not going to ask my cops to go into a house though where we`re suspecting a dangerous person to be armed with a hand gun who has made threats to kill police,” says Chief Tupper.

Carroll says while she’s happy Morales has been caught, it still doesn’t bring back Dedrikk and now two families’ lives are destroyed.

“I feel sorry for his family as well because they’re losing a child but not in the way that we did. It’s been horrible, we shouldn’t have to bury our child, he was my stepson, we shouldn’t have to we shouldn’t be going through this at all,” says Carroll.

Morales was transported to the Marshall County Jail late Wednesday afternoon.

He’s been charged with first degree murder and going armed with intent.

Police say they executed a search warrant at a Nevada home Wednesday evening and located the alleged murder weapon.

Police say the investigation is still ongoing.