According to the Des Moines Police Department, on Sunday at around 11 p.m. an officer attempted to perform a traffic stop near SW 9th and McKinley Avenue. The alleged driver, Cody Gibbs, 27, refused to pull over and fled.
Gibbs eventually left his vehicle at SW 9th Street and Payton Ave., the police said. As Gibbs was running he allegedly fired a handgun multiple times at the officer. The officer was not injured.
Gibbs, who had several unrelated warrants for his arrest, was later taken into custody and originally charged with the following:
- Assault on a peace officer with a dangerous weapon
- Felon in possession of a firearm
- Reckless use of a firearm
- Interference with official acts with a dangerous weapon
- OWI – 1st offense
- Multiple traffic-related violations
Des Moines Police said after consulting with the Polk County Attorney’s Office two more charges have been filed against Gibbs — attempted murder of a peace officer and intimidation with a dangerous weapon.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing.