Jared Fogle, Ex-Subway Pitchman, Pleads Guilty to Child Porn, Sex Crime Charges

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Former Subway pitchman Jared Fogle has been sentenced to more than 15 years in prison after pleading guilty on charges of child pornography and crossing state lines to pay for sex with minors, CNN affiliate WISH reported.

Fogle, whose weight loss journey made him a national celebrity, addressed the courtroom in Indianapolis. Experts testified that he fantasized about young girls and had a sex drive that ramped up after he begun shedding pounds.

His attorneys have asked for him to receive five years in prison, arguing that he’s already “lost everything” and will live with the consequences of his behavior for the rest of his life. Prosecutors are seeking 12-1/2 years. The judge has the discretion to sentence him to an even longer stint behind bars.

Under a plea deal first agreed upon in August, he must register as a sex offender after his release and have his digital devices monitored.

Fogle was charged with one count each of traveling to engage in sexual conduct with a minor and receiving child pornography. The judge, in reviewing the case to the courtroom Thursday, said that the images involved children as young as 6 and that Fogle asked adult prostitutes to procure children for him in various states.

“Is everything I just stated … the truth?” Pratt asked.

“Yes it is the truth, your honor,” Fogle said.

Before the sentencing, prosecutors and defense teams sparred in court over whether Fogle could have controlled himself — and whether he can be rehabilitated.

Dr. John Bradford, a forensic psychiatrist testifying on behalf of the defense, said Fogle had a compulsive eating disorder and that after losing weight, he substituted food for a sense of “hypersexuality.” That included a “mild case” of pedophilia in which he became attracted to female teenagers, Bradford said.

He added that there was a low to moderate risk of Fogle relapsing.

But the prosecution highlighted his texts and emails to convince the judge he deserved a harsher punishment.

In one exchange, Fogle offered to pay $300 for a 15-year-old who could prove her age, prosecutors said: “It’s what I crave,” he wrote.

The federal judge earlier said the father of two is allowed to have contact with his children, but he can’t appeal the conditions of a supervised release.

Fogle had been the face of the sandwich chain since he was featured in a commercial in 2000. Once a 425-pound undergraduate at Indiana University, Fogle said he began eating at Subway to help him drop 245 pounds.

But after his suburban Indianapolis home was raided in July as part of a child pornography investigation, Subway cut ties with the spokesman. Fogle’s wife also said she planned to divorce him.

Since his arrest, Fogle has paid $100,000 each to his 14 victims.

Those victims — four of whom are now adults — were identified after police say they reviewed nearly 160,000 text messages, more than 27,000 emails, and tens of thousands of videos and images.

Two of those victims were 16 and 17 when Fogle traveled to New York City to pay them for sex at upscale hotels, prosecutors said in court documents.

He also received pornographic materials from Russell Taylor, the executive director of his charity, the Jared Foundation, investigators said. Taylor has separately agreed to plead guilty to child exploitation and child pornography charges.

Popular

Latest News

More News