Complaint: Former Lincoln Coach Threatened to ‘f*****g kill’ Referee After Controversial No-Call

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – A former Lincoln High School assistant football coach is now facing criminal charges after confronting a referee following a controversial hit during a game against West Des Moines Dowling last Friday.

Forty-four-year-old Jason Storm is charged with one count of first-degree harassment for the incident. He was booked into the Polk County Jail at 4:22 a.m. Wednesday.

During the second quarter of Friday’s matchup between Dowling and Lincoln, Lincoln’s quarterback was hit hard with what Storm says was helmet to helmet contact that may have been intentional. The quarterback is also Storm’s son.

The head official, Scott Zahnle, did not throw a penalty flag for targeting.

The criminal complaint in the case claims Storm left the sideline and threatened Zahnle, saying he was going to “f—–g kill him” due to the missed call. It also says Storm had to be “physically restrained from attacking the Head Official by other members of the coaching staff and he had to be escorted out of the Valley Football Stadium due to his aggressive behavior.”

According to the complaint, Storm apologized for his actions, which disrupted the game.

Storm resigned his coaching position and his attorney says he is trying to take responsibility.

“Mr. Storm is deeply embarrassed by the situation. He voluntarily resigned because he hopes this situation doesn’t become a distraction for his team,” said attorney Gary Dickey.

Storm also self-reported the incident to the Board of Education Examiners. The Des Moines Public Schools District says they are waiting to see what responsibility the referee and the Iowa High School Athletic Association is going to take in regard to a “dangerous missed call.”

Storm made his first appearance in jail court on Wednesday morning, where a no-contact order was put in place barring Storm from contacting Zahnle. Storm has been released on his own recognizance and his next hearing date is scheduled for Nov. 20th.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Latest News

More News