Des Moines Fire Responds to Utility Pole Fire During Saturday’s Storm

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DES MOINES, Iowa — The Des Moines Fire Department was on scene at the 2900 block of Scott Avenue Saturday afternoon.

A utility pole caught fire from the inside. Smoke was seen coming out of the pole.

A resident told Channel 13 he saw the pole spark a flame and that’s when he called 911.

Firefighters on scene said they believe rain and a wire shortage at the top of the pole caused electricity to shoot down the pole, causing a fire.

Fire crews worked to ensure the telephone lines did not fall onto the nearby fence, fearing it could send electricity through the ground.

Popular

Latest News

More News