DALLAS CENTER, Iowa -- Fire crews battled a blaze at a Dallas Center home Wednesday evening.
Dallas Center police officer Derrick Spoerry said crews were initially called to the home at 403 11th Street about 5:30 p.m. after the homeowner called 911 saying she was having difficult breathing. Upon arrival, crews determined there was a fire in the home.
Spoerry said deputies helped the woman and her dog out of her home. She was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The home is likely a total loss, officials said.
Spoerry said officials haven't yet determined the cause of the fire, but say it may be due to a candle or Christmas decoration. He said this serves as a warning for all homeowners when it comes to fire safety over the holidays.