What’s Next in Dallas County? Key to Stopping Meth, and 2 Must-reads in the Register

Blogs
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Good morning.

In Dallas County the resignation of sheriff Brian Gilbert resolved one distraction from daily business, but it also added a couple of big decision to the “to-do” list of the Board of Supervisors. This morning they’ll meet to swear in the new acting sheriff Kevin Fredrick. Next they have to decide if they want to just appoint someone or let the voters decide who should fill out Gilbert’s term (about two years). This comes with the news that a deputy is suing Gilbert and Fredrick saying he was retaliated against for reporting money stolen from a traffic stop. If you ask me neither option looks really good right now. You appoint Fredrick and you’ve got someone who was in the Sheriff’s office when this whole thing was going on. You let voters decide, it will probably be Fredrick or someone inside the Sheriff’s Department right now. Just an observation but wouldn’t a fresh set of eyes be the thing to add to this situation? If you’ve got accusations of favoritism and corruption inside the department, wouldn’t the County be well served to bring in new blood? I don’t know all the inside baseball on this one, but Dallas County needs to just get back to doing what it’s citizens expect it to do. In this case, uphold the law and keep the streets safe.

Speaking of keeping the streets safe, the governor talked about the research that led to an additive for anhydrous ammonia making it all but useless to meth makers. Great. That takes care of about 20 percent of the meth in the state. The other 80 percent is coming in from the southwest and Mexico. It’s a significant advance and something researchers at ISU should be proud of. Now lets develop a way to actually deal with the bulk of the drug coming into the state.

On the election front it seems clear that Democrats are poised to take over the House of representatives. What looked like a long shot at the beginning of the summer has evolved into a near certainty. This might be the biggest blow up since the 69 Cubs. Republicans came in in 1994 promising less government, lower taxes and a return to a government you can be around without holding your nose. They got the tax part done…But how is this any better than the scandals of the 90’s. I remember watching way’s and Means Chairman Dan Rostenkowski go down over an embezzlement scandal in the House Post office. Republicans promised change back then and all we got was a change of the leading players.
In that climate, we have to go to the polls to choose a governor and a congressman among other things. The Register has a couple of must read articles from it’s columnists this morning. Marc Hansen talks about the race for Polk County Supervisor between incumbent John Mauro and Challenger Gene Phillips. Meanwhile David Yepsen has some suggestions for the candidates for governor. Here here! I love the fact that political ads are paying the bills around here, but as a voter, I am so turned off by the ads this time around. I’m just so sceptical of the claims in any of these ads. They have taken the truth and stretched it so far. What does that say about any of these guys when they get into office. How far will they spin something to make it sound good?

Some stories we didn’t get to: I think you might want to read. Remember the lady dubbed “the Runaway Bride”? She’s back in the news. She’s suing her former fiancee. Is there any way this guy isn’t the victim here?

Saddam got gonged out of court again this morning. Is there any way this is going to look like a fair and reasonable trial? It’s already ridiculous.

Brad brought up a good point about Google acquisition of you-tube. When is someone going to sue for copyright infringement? There’s a lot of copyright protected information and video on there. Right now a lot of people aren’t paying for it.

I’m doing some double duty on the Brian Gilbert case today so I’m going to cut this short. Trish will be back tomorrow so I’m sure we’ll have even more to cover.

PWD

Popular

Latest News

More News