Ag Department Could Control Some Work Visas

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

The USDA may become in charge of dealing with H-2A immigration, also known as the Agricultural Visa program.

The H-2A Immigration program allows some U.S. employers to bring in foreign workers to fill temporary agriculture positions.

A bill introduced into the House of Representatives, named the Family Farm Relief Act, replaces the Secretary of Labor and inserts the Secretary of Agriculture when dealing with the H-2A program.

It's co-sponsored by New York Republican Representatives Elise Stefanik and Chris Collins.

In a statement Stefanik says moving the program to the Ag Department would better meet the labor needs of farmers, adding the visa program is been too cumbersome for farmers.

The legislation also lets farm cooperatives and ag associations to apply for workers for their members.


Latest News

More News