CRESTON, Iowa — Three people are hurt and more than a dozen displaced after a fire at an apartment building in Creston on Friday.
Neighbors near 124 Manor Drive called firefighters around 9 a.m. after hearing what they described as an explosion.
First responders arrived to find a woman leaning out of a second-floor window, trapped by flames. They told her to throw her dog out the window, then jump out herself. She suffered a broken ankle in the fall. Two of her neighbors had to go to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters believe an oxygen tank and a cigarette may have started the fire. No one will be able to return to the building tonight.