13 Fascinating Facts
- I was born in Belgrade, Serbia and moved to America with my family when I was 2 years old.
- I grew up in Yonkers, NY and attended Iona University in New Rochelle, NY.
- I played lacrosse in high school, and I plan on getting my coaching license one day to spread the joy I got from playing to other young athletes.
- I set off every metal detector I go through because I have titanium rods in my knee from a sports-related surgery. So, I like to arrive to airports early, just in case.
- During all four years of high school, I volunteered at a local museum. I led art and science workshops for kids and gave tours to visitors.
- I got my first job in news when I was 19. I worked behind the scenes at my local tv news station. It was a dream come true working with the same people I grew up watching.
- My favorite color is yellow, and my favorite flower is a sunflower!
- I have two sisters- one older and one younger. Yes, my dad lived in a household with four women. He obviously loved it.
- Back at home, my family has a baby Frenchie. Her name is Chanel, but I call her Squishy.
- I kept every fortune I got from a fortune cookie. When I was a kid, I thought they would come in handy one day and I just never stopped collecting them.
- My favorite TV show of all time is One Tree Hill and Brooke Davis is my favorite character because of her character development.
- I love art and one of my favorite things about Des Moines is seeing all the street art in the Downtown area.
- I’m really bad at remembering tv plots. I can watch a movie today and forget everything about it tomorrow. On the bright side, I never get tired of rewatching shows or movies.
Teodora Mitov joined the WHO 13 team in July 2023 as a Multi-Media Journalist.
Teodora grew up in Westchester County, New York and completed her undergraduate education at Iona University. She studied Political Science and Media & Strategic Communications with a concentration in Digital Media & Production. She was extremely active in her university’s media clubs and she graduated Summa Cum Laude in May 2023.
During college, Teodora took advantage of several internship and job opportunities. She completed her first internship at LMC Media in Mamaroneck, NY during her sophomore year. Shortly after this internship ended, she started working as a freelance Assignment Desk Editor at News 12 Westchester County/Hudson Valley. She stayed in this newsroom for two years where she witnessed and helped cover huge stories for the region, like the resignation of disgraced former Governor Andrew Cuomo and Hurricanes Ida and Ian. During the summer of 2022, Teodora was an intern for Paramount, where she had the privilege of covering national news while interning on CBS News’ National Desk.
Teodora, like many journalists, loves the news! She loves the adrenaline that comes from breaking news stories and weather-related stories. However, she also takes seriously the responsibility of being able to provide a voice for communities whose stories go unnoticed. As an immigrant, a woman, and someone who was raised in an ethnically/culturally diverse environment, Teodora’s upbringing has provided her the ability to empathize with all people and a desire to accurately represent all sides.
Teodora is excited to start a new journey in her career in Des Moines, Iowa. She loves Iowa so far and is looking forward to connecting with the community and telling the stories of Central Iowans. She can be reached through her email Teodora.Mitov@whotv.com or by Instagram @teodoramitovtv.