13 facts about Lindsey Burrell:
- I am the youngest child and only girl of four, meaning it is my birthright to never cut grass, ever.
- My first job was waitressing at my local “Fish Camp” (it’s a southern thing).
- I competed in the Miss America Organization, placing first runner up to Miss South Carolina, 2021.
- In college, I was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and served as President of Winthrop University’s College Panhellenic Council.
- I am pursuing my master’s degree online at Texas Tech University and will obtain my M.A. in Strategic Communication and Innovation in 2023, through scholarship money won in pageants.
- I am a Disney adult, and I am proud of it.
- In high school and college, I sang in multiple choirs and had the privilege of performing at Carnegie Hall.
- I love to shop and have a borderline unhealthy obsession with shoes.
- I have a big heart for animals, as such, I volunteered at my local humane society weekly in high school and was the head counselor for their summer “Camp Love-A-Pet” sessions.
- In college I interned for the Ryan Seacrest Foundation at Seacrest Studios located inside Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, NC. There, I was able to host shows, play games, and connect with patients undergoing treatment.
- At 18 years old I found out I was BRCA1 positive, a genetic mutation that significantly increases a woman’s risk for breast and ovarian cancer. Since then, I have worked at NothingPink.org, a nonprofit organization aimed at spreading awareness for previvors, survivors, and individuals currently battling breast and ovarian cancer.
- I am a Gryffindor.
- I love to cook, specifically pasta dishes, and some of my family members have even said they like my dishes over what they get in restaurants (yes, this is a brag).
Lindsey Burrell joined the WHO13 team in January of 2023 as an evening Anchor/Reporter.
Although born and raised in South Carolina, Lindsey is no stranger to the Midwest. Prior to moving to Des Moines, she worked in Rapid City, South Dakota as a main anchor and reporter for KOTA Territory News and Black Hills FOX News. As her first experience living outside of South Carolina, Lindsey has discovered the Midwest is absolutely beautiful but cold. Very, very cold.
Lindsey is a graduate of Winthrop University, where she majored in Mass Communication and minored in Leadership Studies. During her time at Winthrop, she held many leadership positions and was involved in multiple clubs and organizations. In addition to on-campus involvement, she worked numerous internships, gaining experience in public relations and broadcasting. Currently, Lindsey is pursuing her M.A. in Strategic Communication and Innovation online at Texas Tech University and will complete her degree in 2023.
Lindsey is excited to explore all the great things Des Moines has to offer, get involved in the community and work alongside the talented journalists at WHO13.