13 Fascinating Facts About Dan Winters
- I like to use the term “fascinating” pretty loosely.
- I have lived in six towns in Iowa.
- I can recite every word of the movie “Christmas Vacation.”
- I put ketchup on eggs, mac ‘n cheese, and even tator tot casserole.
- My family used to own the oldest hardware store in Iowa.
- I have a crippling fear of snakes.
- I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I grew up.
- My first on-the-air job was at KMA Radio when I was 16.
- I was president of my fraternity.
- My wife and I got a bedroom makeover from West End Salvage on HGTV.
- My dad managed farmers co-op grain elevators when I was growing up.
- I have dental bonding to fill the big gap in my front teeth.
- I’ve never voted a straight ticket.
For 18 years, Dan Winters has been telling the story of Iowa. He anchors weeknights and reports for WHO 13 News. Dan’s storytelling has garnered numerous honors, including several Upper Midwest Emmy Awards and a National Edward R. Murrow Award. Upon graduating from Iowa State University’s Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, Dan was awarded First Place in the William Randolph Hearst TV News Championship in San Francisco. Dan is the seventh member of his family to attend Iowa State. He currently serves as the chair of the Greenlee School Advisory Council. Each year, he hosts charity events for Iowa State and other organizations. Dan and his wife, Shannon, have three children.