13 Fascinating Facts about Calyn Thompson
- I was born in Des Moines at Mercy Hospital where my mom is a Labor & Delivery nurse, raised in Norwalk (Go Warriors!), and attended Wartburg College (Go Knights!).
- I’m a military brat but never had to move around. My dad works at the Iowa Air National Guard, 132nd Wing.
- I’m the youngest in my family and have an older brother. My parents made our names into a pattern (Tommy, Connie, Tyler, Calyn – luckily my brother married someone whose name starts with a C, Cara).
- I discovered my passion for journalism after a hero’s homecoming for my cousin, Zach, who was injured in Afghanistan.
- I love all types of music and arts! You can often see me attending concerts at Wells Fargo Arena and musicals at the Civic Center.
- My humor is based on movie quotes. (Tommy Boy, Dumb and Dumber, and School of Rock are a few of my favorites!)
- I have a phobia of frogs… I blame the neighbor boys for teasing me with them growing up.
- I’m a true believer in retail therapy. I enjoy going into stores more so than online shopping. You can’t beat a trip to TJ Maxx!
- I’m not a coffee person, but still love caffeine. Diet Mt. Dew is my jam!
- I’ve never broken a bone, but I did tear my ACL and meniscus playing slow-pitch softball which I would NOT recommend! Knee surgery is no joke.
- My happy place is on the water! My family has a boat and we enjoy our summers at Lake Red Rock.
- I’ve only ever lived in the Midwest (Iowa & Minnesota). I enjoy the change in seasons – fall is my favorite!
- I’ve always been a big TV watcher. A few of my favorite shows include This Is Us, Grey’s Anatomy, and Family Feud.
Calyn Thompson joined the WHO 13 News team as a reporter/MMJ in November of 2020. Raised in Norwalk, Calyn is no stranger to the area!
Prior to coming back to Des Moines, Calyn worked at KIMT News 3 in Rochester, Minnesota where she anchored the weekend newscasts and reported during the week. She’s been recognized by the Iowa Broadcast News Association and Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists for her reporting work.
So far in her career, Calyn has had the opportunity to cover presidential visits, legislative sessions, groundbreaking medical research, a number of severe storms, and even braved the 2019 Polar Vortex in Minnesota (Brr!).
She graduated from Wartburg College in 2017 where she was a part of the campus news program “Cedar Valley Today.”
During her summers in college, she interned at KCRG-TV9 News in Cedar Rapids and Senator Chuck Grassley’s Office in Des Moines.
If you have a story idea or just want to say hi, reach out to Calyn by emailing her at Calyn.Thompson@whotv.com. You can “like” her on Facebook: Calyn Thompson or follow her on Twitter: @CalynTReports